Friday, April 16, 2010

On CD: "I Dreamed a Dream", Susan Boyle (2009)

While my home PC was in the shop for repairs, I whittled away some time at the public library. The other night, I decided to bring home some CD's, including this one from one of the feel-good music stories of 2009.

I'm sure you've all read or heard about Mrs. Boyle, who became an international phenomenon after appearing on Britain's Got Talent last year, then crossing the pond to appear on the series' American counterpart. "I Dreamed a Dream" was released at the end of '09, in time to justify the inclusion of the classic Christmas carol, "Silent Night".

The rest of "Dream" is a mix of gospel standards ("How Great Thou Art", "Amazing Grace") and covers of pop classics including the Rolling Stones' "Wild Horses" and Madonna's 1998 hit, "You'll See". Vocally, Mrs. Boyle falls somewhere in between Enya & Kate Smith. How's that for diversity?

While I have to return this particular copy to the library, I'm making a point of picking up a copy for my personal collection. If you haven't already done so, I suggest you do.

Grade: A.

No comments: