Sunday, April 17, 2011

Notes from the reunion

Last night was a special night. The class of 1981 at Troy High----well, a good chunk, at least---gathered at the Hilton Garden Inn in Troy to mark 30 years. We had a graduating class that swelled close to 450, if I remember right. I think, though, we had about 20% of that, or, roughly, about 80 people, between alumni & guests, in attendance.

As I wrote before, our previous gatherings have taken place at Thanksgiving, but this time, it's a week before Easter, and the Hilton was a perfect location, considering that many of the alumni grew up in the Beman Park and/or Sycaway sections of the city. There were a couple of people who had committed to attending, then had to cancel at the last moment for either economic reasons or scheduling conflicts. Those things will happen. For those of us who were there, we all had a terrific time. Some are already calling for the next reunion to be in 2016 (35 years), rather than wait for the 40th anniversary in 2021, due largely to the fact that we didn't have a 25 year reunion in 2006, and I discovered I wasn't alone in being upset over that oversight.

Anyway, the food was fantastic (even though I scrimped a little as I'm dieting, trying to bring my weight back down to where it was in school), and I would not be at all surprised if we come right back to the Hilton next time.

Did I dance? No. I didn't have a date, and most of us, it seemed, preferred conversation to dancing, anyway. I must've posed for a dozen pictures before the night was over, which would be a personal record. In my mind, I was kicking myself for not being prepared and purchasing a disposable camera in advance. Oh, there were some available, but I would've felt better using my own. Instead, a friend loaned me her digital camera for a brief moment so I could snap a couple of pics.

Like I said, it was a great night. I'm going to be dreaming about it all week long.

No comments: