Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Musical Interlude: Written on the Subway Wall (1989)

It had been about 20 years, give or take a few, since Dion DiMucci had released the historically & socially relevant "Abraham, Martin, & John", and I wouldn't blame you if you thought the former teen idol had retired from recording.

However, Dion returned in 1989 with "Yo, Frankie!", which was filled with memories of growing up in the Big Apple, through the eyes of the artist. "Written on the Subway Wall" got a ton of airplay on MTV & VH1, back when those channels actually cared about music. Dion gets a little help from a couple of his friends here, as Paul Simon contributes a few lines from the Elegants' "Little Star", and Lou Reed pops up throughout the video, uploaded by bronxnroll:

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I'd forgotten all about this little gem!

I should add it to my iTunes playlist. Having Simon, Lou Reed and Joan Jett was a nice touch.

I've always loved Dion's music (as did my parents, who were part of his first generation of listeners) and it's nice that he still has the chops after all those years. Everytime I hear a classic tune of his I'm always thankful he refused to throw in his share for a plane ride with Buddy Holly et al The Day The Music Died.

BTW - The anniversary for that tragedy is coming up.

hobbyfan said...

Shoot! Didn't even notice Joan in the video!