Sunday, November 8, 2015

Advertising For Dummies: KFC's "reality" bites (2015)

Earlier this year, Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) enlisted Saturday Night Live's current announcer, Darrell Hammond, to "resurrect" its founding father, Colonel Harland Sanders. For whatever reason, the ad agency then switched gears and went into the SNL archives to find another Sanders impersonator in Norm McDonald (Mike Tyson Mysteries). Don't ask. The campaign has since jumped the shark, but this quickie creates a smooth transition from Hammond to McDonald.



"The Real Colonel Sanders"? Hardly.

4 comments:

Samuel Wilson said...

Expect more complications. There's some sort of promo comic book coming out in which The Flash must get between the two feuding Colonels.

hobbyfan said...

I've seen the ad, Sammy. It's a parody of "Flash of Two Worlds", available only online at Comixology, I believe. They're milking this more than it has any right to.

SaturdayMorningFan said...

Has anyone else detected a sharp drop-off in quality in KFC in the early 1990s, around the time of the name change? I used to love KFC when they were Kentucky Fried Chicken, but sometime in the '90s I had to stop eating there because the food was making me sick to my stomach. Maybe it was just the local franchise and the rest were OK, but I wasn't willing to risk it and stopped frequenting the chain. Anybody else have any experiences like this?

hobbyfan said...

None that I can recall, and the last time I dined at a KFC was a few years ago for lunch.