Sunday, June 11, 2017

Musical Interlude: When Will I See You Again (1974)

To my 11 year old ears in 1974, The Three Degrees' "When Will I See You Again" sounded like the introduction of a new group modeled after Motown legends the Supremes. Little did I know how wrong I was.

In truth, the Three Degrees had been around in some form or another since the 60's. It was "TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)", on which the Degrees sang the ending vocals for MFSB, a Philadelphia International studio band, that introduced the Degrees to Top 40 audiences of the period. "When Will I See You Again" comes off their self-titled 3rd album, which came out a short time later. Vocally, it's easy to see the Supremes' influence, but this combo has had more lineup changes over the course of 54 years (yes, they still tour)......

No comments: